Lucas 15AC alternator (TR5/250) question

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Lucas 15AC alternator (TR5/250) question
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:38:28 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> iB2CeLAC028792
Message text written by "Randall Young"
>Does anyone know offhand whether the field (rotor) winding is internally
connected to ground or +12 inside a Lucas 15AC alternator (as used on the
TR5 and TR250) ?  Seems like it should be connected to the Ind (diode trio)
terminal, but I can't find in any of my books where it says so, and I don't
have one handy to take apart and examine.
<

Oh, really?  I've seen diagrams showing the rotoe (field) connections but I
forget whether it was in the Haynes or the Bentley.  But you are correct,
one side of the rotor is connected to the diode output (IND) and the other
side is connected to the collector of the NPN transistor in the regulator.
 Your classic low side switching configuration used universally in
alternators (at least all I've looked into).

Dave