Installing a modern CD player in a TR6

To: Robert Rudolphi <robertrudolphi@netscape.net>
Subject: Installing a modern CD player in a TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:49:35 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> iB3DpwAC009842
Message text written by Robert Rudolphi
>I was hoping to get some advice from the list on how to wire a new CD
player I am purchasing for my 74 TR6. I currently have the "factory" AM
FM stereo system. I have purchased a new center console that has already
been cut and plan to install a modern CD player. The issue is I have a
battery cutoff switch on the negative side of the battery to shut off
the power whenever I park the car. I don't want to have to reset
everything on the new radio every time I drive the car. I am thinking of
running power and ground wires directly to the positive and negative
sides of the battery and putting inline fuses in each. Does anyone
foresee problems with this or have recommendations on a better way?
<

The problem with this plan is that the radio's negative lead is connected
to the radio chassis.  When it is connected to the chassis (via the
console) it will bypass the cutoff switch (at least until you attempt to
start the car at which point the starter current will burn up the radio
lead in a few milliseconds).  Your alternatives are:
1) move the battery disoconnect switch to the positive terminal on the
battery and attach the radio's power lead to the hot side of the switch
2) reset the radio everytime you you drive
3) some other overly complicated automatic switching set up utilizing
relays and an auxiliary battery.

Cheers

Dave Massey