RE: round silver slotted aluminum wafer-like discs

To: "'Paul Dorsey'" <dorpaul@negia.net>, "'triumph list'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: round silver slotted aluminum wafer-like discs
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:28:31 -0000

Hi Paul,
I don't know if there is a specific pattern with the TRs, but with most
Standards and Triumphs built on a separate chassis, the number and positions
of these spacers varied. These were used to adjust clearance between body
and chassis to obtain correct alignment. Production clearances were pretty
variable on the Spitfires, Heralds and Atlases I've worked on. In extreme
cases, extra thick aluminium spacers were used, the largest I have seen
being an inch thick (on a Standard Atlas)! In such drastic cases the spacers
are drilled centrally rather than slotted.
Cheers,
Bill.
http://www.rarebits4classics.co.uk