Re: Fly-off Handbrake

To: fprecht@frostburg.edu (francis precht), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fly-off Handbrake
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:49:27 -0500
In a message dated 12/6/2004 11:48:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, francis precht
<fprecht@frostburg.edu> writes:

>I have a related question regarding the fly-off handbrake on the TR4A.
> How can I increase its' holding power/efficiency ?
>It seems I remember reading somewhere that the linkage was re-engineered
>from the 4 to 4A along with repositioning it to the tunnel center, but
>that the efficiency was compromised.

==========
Yes, in that the shorter handle lost some of the mechanical advantage one had
with the older setup.
==========

>Can anyone suggest a fix/mod to increase the holding power on the 4A
>handbrake ?  Brakes work just fine (in good adjustment).

==========
You need to be absolutely sure that the REAR brakes are working "just fine" as
well as the front ones. That includes the cylinders being free to slide back
and forth as needed and the handbrake linkages being free to move as well.

If it takes more than a couple of "clicks" before the handbrake begins to
engage, and your rear brakes are ok as outlined above, then you might want to
look for a stretched cable, for which there are adjustments that can be made. I
don't remember the exact configuration of the TR4A handbrake cable, but if
there's adjustment to be made on the cable ends at the wheel cylinder lever,
that's where you want to go first. THEN you can adjust the cable at the
handbrake lever if necessary. OH, and make sure all the cable linkages and
pivots move freely.

--Andy Mace