Re: Headlamp flashers, fly-off brakes - origins (longish)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Headlamp flashers, fly-off brakes - origins (longish)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:58:27 -0500
In a message dated 12/7/2004 6:20:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, "David Brister"
<brister@tiscali.fr> writes:

>One of the downsides of flashing headlamps is the difficulty of interpreting
>the meaning of the flash. In some countries it can mean "get out of my way"
>whilst in otheres GB for example it means "please go ahead."

Reminds me of an old (impressionist/comedian) Rich Little routine, in which an
aide to then-President Richard Nixon was explaining how the word "shalom" could
mean either hello or goodbye...."if someone leaves when you say it, then what
you said was 'goodbye'!"

So if someone cuts in front of you after you flash your headlamps, that flash
meant "please go ahead." ;-)

--Andy Mace