Re: Buyer Beware!

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Buyer Beware!
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:52:46 -0800
Well, golly.  It is rare that I disagree with Randall on this list but
as an occasional ebayer with over 300 transactions I have disagree to
on this one.

On Friday, December 10, 2004, at 05:19  PM, Randall wrote:

> If packing charges were not mentioned in the auction under shipping
> costs,
> but the seller demands them, I believe you can report them as a
> non-performing seller.

I agree that lacking labour charges need to be mentioned but not actual
costs of materials and postage.  However, Never attribute to malice
that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

>> I was only given one price which was way too much
>
> This is unfortunately a common scam ... auction states "actual shipping
> charges" but seller uses an extremely expensive shipping service,
> possibly
> one with kickbacks.

I have yet to see USPS or FedEx provide a kick back to anyone.  And of
course in Europe UPS is the real expensive one.  Never be too hasty to
plaster a stranger with the label of cheat, crook or scammer.  People
with disabilities sometimes use a packaging service to pack items for
them.  Some items require the seller to go out and purchase a box and
packing materials.  Both of which seem to me way too costly at office
supply stores.  I sold an item once that required me to buy and use a
$10 roll of bubble wrap to pack safely. I passed on the cost of the
bubble wrap as part of actual shipping costs.

As a buyer you can always request a shipping cost before you bid or
anytime before the auction ends.  I have learned to do this  on
anything from out of the country or domestically larger than a loaf of
bread.  You can also request certain carriers as well.  From the UK I
request Parcel Force, from Australia, Economy air & in the US I ask
either UPS or USPS as FedEx and DHL have been unable to find the house.

Chalk the "excess" charges up to education and remember to email the
seller to ask actual shipping costs.  Lord knows I've paid for more
than my share for e-bay education over the years.

Just because a person charges more to ship an item than you think it
should does not mean the other person is not out of pocket that amount
of money to ship it.

TeriAnn J. Wakeman

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity."

- Robert J. Hanlon