Re: SU HS6 rebuild

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: SU HS6 rebuild
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:07:01 -0000
Frank Crowe commented on the successful use of MOS2 (Molybdenum Disulphide)
in very elderly gearboxes and axles. I'd endorse his comments, but only
partially. I believe that in the UK, MOS2 is probably known as Molyslip and
I'd *only* use it in a gearbox or axle where it is known beyond doubt that
there are no non-ferrous components - i.e. brass, copper, aluminium. I
certainly wouldn't use it anywhere near an overdrive. While Moly products
are great for imcreasing *slippage* and reducing component friction, they
were known historically to attack a number of non-ferrous metals with costly
outcomes. I guess it all boils down to the chemical make-up of MOS2 vis a
vis Molyslip but perhaps *Beware* is an appropriate caution?

Jonmac

---