TR2 Telescoping Steering Column

To: Triumph_List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR2 Telescoping Steering Column
From: Dan Scharpf <dfscharpf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:58:42 -0800 (PST)
I'm putting together my steering column for my TR2 and I think my inner
stator tube that carries the wires to the control head is too short.
The control head was not in the car when I bought it since the tube was
broken near the control head near the slot in the tube. By piecing
together the two pieces the total length of this inner tube was
61-5/16". I bought some stock tubing (3/8" OD) and cut it to this
length and then cut in the 1.75"  slot for the control head connection.
some pictures of the pieces are here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dfscharpf/album?.dir=/46c2&.src=ph&.tok=phvkjRCBvs4MG58r
(This also shows the polished control head that I received many
suggestions on as well.)

When this tube is installed in the main steering column, it's about 2"
short of the end of the splines where the steering wheel attaches. The
manual says I should have 2.5" of travel for the steering wheel, but
with the length of the tube that I used, I'd be lucky to get 1/2" of
travel. The slot in this tube is only 1.75", so I'd never be able to
get the 2.5" of travel anyway, and if the full length of the slot is
used, it looks like the control head will never be able to find it's
way back on the slot.

This leads me to a few questions:

1) How much travel should I realistically expect from the steering
wheel?
2) Does anyone know the length of this inner tube? Should this go all
the way to the end of the splines?

Thanks,

Dan Scharpf
54 TR2 TS3590L