grease fitting for waterpump

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: grease fitting for waterpump
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:52:55 -0500
List,
While inspecting my waterpump I found something I don't understand.
(I can better describe it if you look at the photograph at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34202&item=
4515698221&rd=1

When this waterpump is bolted up to it's housing (not shown in photograph) the
gasket (shown) DOES NOT have a hole for the grease to be distributed to the
waterpump internals.  If this is so then why does the cast iron pump (as
shown) have a grease fitting (as shown) which has a hole(out of sight but on
the inside next to the impellar fins) for the grease to come thru but then
stop at the gasket (shown).
Thanks, Paul Dorsey