RE: Gearbox dowels ?

To: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Gearbox dowels ?
From: Jeff Johnson <mondoluxe@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:54:47 -0500
When I wrote that post, it originally said," had and still has the locating
dowels", however, when I proof-read it I  thought the language to be
somewhat stilted, so I deleted the present tense. And yes, the dowels are
present after my car's 2nd clutch job.
As a relative neophyte to TR clutch repair jobs in 1981, I somehow managed
to realize that the locating pins were there for alignment purposes.(
Wasn't my first clutch job). I'm not sure why they seem to
have  disappeared on some cars, I can only surmise that a DPO or other
ignorant person had them removed and replaced with bolts or nothing at all.
I just don't believe that the factory stopped using them for a while and
then started again.
My entire purpose for the post was to supply info regarding  Kai's
supposition that Triumph stopped putting dowel pins in TR6's and to supply
direct info from an original owner who's BTDT- got the T-shirt.
  :-) Back at you!