Re: Bolting the tub back to the Chassis

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bolting the tub back to the Chassis
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:33:08 EST
Hi John,

I'm close to the same point as you with my '62 TR4, and am doing the exact
same head-scratching. Looking over your completion list, only a couple things
occur to me:

1. Do you want to use some Waxoyl or similar to protect the inside surfaces
of the frame and enclosed areas of the body (such as the rockers)? If so, now
is a great time to drill the 1/2" access holes, do the first treatment and
install the plastic plugs.

2. Have you modified or do you plan to modify the scuttle drain vent? That
is, the original drain tubes dump into the space behind the front fenders and
that's a primary cause of rust on the rockers, footwell walls and lower rear
corner of the outer fender.  It can actually be done when assembly is further
along, too, just involves putting a longer tube on and routing it all the way
down through the rockers and exiting somewhere under the car.

Unlike you, I will be reinstalling the engine, gearbox and drive shaft prior
to dropping the tub onto the body, even though all three will be pulled out
again for more work later. One reason is because I'm actually replacing the
frame in this car with a better one, and I want to insure everything fits as it
should. Plus, I will likely be moving the car soon, although not finished, and
it will be easier the fewer pieces it's in.

I'll look forward to reading other folks' responses to your questions.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm

Well, in spite of the Holidays, I actually got some work done on the 62
TR4.  So much, in fact, that I think I am ready to bolt the tub back to the
rolling chassis.  Is there anything that I absolutely, positively must do
prior to this?  I have renewed the entire front suspension, rear axle &
suspension,  new brake lines, emergency -brake components, and exhaust.  I
still have to install engine / transmission / drive-shaft, but those have
yet to be rebuilt.
I have also done as much work to the tub as I believe necessary.  The tub
is currently upside down, and since it won't be upside down again an time
soon (hopefully), any input on what I should consider would be helpful.
After much thought,  I sanded the entire bottom of the car, applied
Eastwood rust encapsulator, and then applied (with a brush) a truck
bedliner coating to the entire bottom of the car.  Not original, but looks
pretty good and should prove to be durable for many years.

I have wasted considerable time already looking at the entire project with
that "I feel like I am forgetting something" feeling... I hope not to
repeat the process of frame-off any time soon, and I can see myself
spending hours on my back wondering, "why didn't I do this before bolting
the tub back on?...