RE: TR3a grounding

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3a grounding
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:58:26 -0800
> The connection between tub and the frame; this is assuming the
> connection is made through the bolts of the tub to frame, right?

AFAIK, yes.  I've never found any other original-looking ground strap between
body & frame.

> Are there issues with relying on this connection?

Works well enough in my experience.  You're more likely to have problems where
the ground cable fastens to the body, IMO.

>  Can this be made better?

IMO the best solution is to run an additional ground directly to the engine
block, as was done on the later Triumphs.  I believe at least some models of TR6
had a ground cable with two connectors, one for the body and one for the engine
block.  Not sure if this particular cable would fit a TR3A well, but it might be
worth a look.  This is also a standard configuration on most GM cars, so you may
be able to find a suitable one at the local auto supply.  However, running a
separate cable from the same bolt where the battery ground cable is fastened to
the body, to the engine, would be a close second-best.  All of this assumes
you've already converted to negative ground, though, modern ground cables may
not fit the larger positive battery post without some modification (like a
longer bolt).

Randall