ZS Carbs With Heavy Washers in The Air Valve Chamber?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: ZS Carbs With Heavy Washers in The Air Valve Chamber?
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:56:10 EST
List,

Well....just when you think you've seen it all.....30 years of caring and
feeding LBCs (mostly Triumphs) and yesterday I came across a real eye
opener.....

During a routine procedure to replace a leaking "o" ring in the air valve oil
chamber on a '73 TR6 ZS CD2 carb, as I turned the air valve upside down to
drain what little oil was left in it, out comes the air valve spring (good) and
then 4 thick 1/2 inch (ID) washers!  A check of the other carb revealed the
same condition - 4 of these large washers under the spring.

I've certainly experimented a few times with different viscosities of damper
oil and different rate springs to slow the vertical (up) movement of the air
valve on quick acceleration but this is a first for me.....4 thick washers
under each spring.  Wow, I guess that explains why the air valves weren't
raising
very well as the engine ran.

So, not finding any mention of this condition as a racing performance
technique in my Kastner and other racing prep books, has anyone ever actually
done
this with good results?  If so, did you do it with stock needles?  I would
think
that the weight of these washers begins to approach a level that the venturi
vacuum on the air valve can't easily overcome???

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA  USA

'76 TR6 CF57822U  (ChipRed)