procedure for shock removal

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: procedure for shock removal
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:06:15 -0500
Dissasembly of my front suspension has been difficult on my 60 TR3A and I
wonder if this list might know of an easier way to remove shocks- (I've never
done this before, and I doubt if I want to ever do it again!).  Already in my
attempt on only one side of the car's front:

1) I finally have removed all 6 castle nuts holding the spring pan to the
lower wishbone arms, however, the two studs closest to the engine don't want
to come out AND don't seem to have room to do so.  Is releasing the coil
spring tension here semi-dangerous?  But, is there another way?

2) Secondly, how do folks get out those four 9/16" nuts holding the lower
shock attachment plate to the spring pan?  Two of the bolts are covered up?

3) Since the shock is currently inplace, I've been forced to use an JUST ONE
external coil spring remover.  It looks as if I'll be squeezing the coil
spring against  the spring pan.  Is this the way to do that?

(4) Is there a way to test the shock? (I think it's only got 55thou miles on
it).

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A