NY Times Classic Car Article

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: NY Times Classic Car Article
From: "Bob Danielson" <75trsix@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:25:12 -0500
A very interesting article on Classic Car Junkyards in today's online
edition of the NY Times. I pasted in the section below some links to these
yards. Closest thing to a Triumph was a 1968 Austin America, but still fun
to look at.

All American Classics in Vancouver, Wash., runs one such virtual junkyard.
It has begun photographing its 3,000 cars for its site,
allamericanclassics.com <http://www.allamericanclassics.com/> . "Although we
have had the most success through car-part.com <http://www.car-part.com/> ,
a search engine that allows buyers to scan our inventory for parts, putting
up pictures of our cars has attracted buyers, for sure," said Todd Toedtli,
the manager of All American.

Other well-known junkyards like Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix
(http://www.azclassics.com) and CTC's Autoranch
(http://www.ctcautoranch.com) in Denton, Tex., also have limited virtual
tours of their wrecks.

And Anna McCormick, the manager of Classic Ford (classicford.com
<http://classicford.com/> ) in East Dixfield, Me., said that her salvage
yard had an even more ambitious plan. "We sent about 800 cars to the crusher
this fall, and we are now in the process of photographing the millions of
parts that we'd stripped," she said. "We'll have our entire stock available
on our Web site by June."

Perhaps the most absorbing of the salvage Web sites belongs to Sunman
Classic Ford (sunmanford.net <http://sunmanford.net/> ) in Seminole, Okla.
Sunman's individual portraits of wrecked 50's, 60's and 70's cars sitting in
a barren landscape are not just useful; they can be mesmerizing. A 1965 Ford
Ranch Wagon, for example, with a good-size tree growing through the engine
block. A 1964 Mercury Monterey, ready for its close-up, its headlights
painted jungle red. A 1960 Dodge Pioneer, brown with surface rust, being
admired by a herd of brown cows. A 1963 Cadillac Fleetwood sitting in high
prairie grass capable of inspiring a Walker Evans.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org