RE: Adjusting Oil Pressure

To: <Ct54531@aol.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Adjusting Oil Pressure
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:49:20 -0800
> Am I correct in thinking that I can adjust the oil pressure in my
> 65 4A using
> the relief valve?

Given the numbers you name, Jim, I'm practically certain that the relief
valve adjustment is not your problem.  It is possible that the valve is
jammed open somehow, or the spring might be broken, which could cause the
described problem, but IMO it's more likely there is something else wrong
like worn out bearings, worn out (or broken) oil pump, etc.

> Do I loosen what I assume is a retaining nut (topmost and smaller
> of the two
> on the valve) and then turn the large screw?

That would be the procedure.  Turning the screw in will raise the pressure.
However, as I said, I don't think you want to do this.  If you do experiment
with it, be sure to count the number of turns so you can return it to the
original position when you do fix the real problem.  Otherwise, with the
relief valve turned way down, the (fixed) oil pressure may rise high enough
to damage something (oil pressure gauge if nothing else).

> Should it be done with the engine running so one can visually
> check the gauge
> i.e.- is the adjustment readily apparent?

Yes, if the valve is controlling the pressure, the change will be immediate.
If you don't see a change, it's because the valve is not controlling the
pressure.

Randall