Re: wide/narrow belt (excuses)

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>,
Subject: Re: wide/narrow belt (excuses)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:38:02 -0700
TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> Is that a later TR thing?  I never had that problem with my TR3A.  It
> was a tad tight but would squeeze past.

Yes. On a TR4 the wide fan belt won't fit past the fan hub extension.
Maybe it's like the deleted differential drain plus, sales people were
supposed to upsell the lifetime fanbelt -- "it doesn't ever need to be
changed... because it can't be!" I don't know about newer TRs.

> You should have replaced the bearing earlier.

In my case a mechanic's assistant left off a couple bolts mounting the
generator, and when the last one went missing the generator fell off. I
needed to get to the hardware store. Geo's bearing probably gave up
after all those years in Hawaii.

> Doesn't anyone do preventative regular maintenance?  And don't forget
> pantyhose can be used to tie down a bonnet that doesn't latch.  I had
> to sacrifice a good pair I was wearing once for that task.

Well I consider it training for all the cars I'll buy and drive home
from the California.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO