RE: Fuel Pump Compression Fitting

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump Compression Fitting
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:51:36 -0800
> Possibly, my measurements/nomenclature/Punjabi are the problem?
> I have been referring to it as an  Inverted Flare Fitting  Piloted Nut for
> Single Flared Tubing having the dimensions: =x 20tpi for a < tube.

Yeah, that certainly could be part of the problem ... how do you pronounce those
square boxes ?
<G>

I was actually lucky enough to find a nut that met all the requirements at my
local auto parts house.  My description was greek to them, but they let me look
in their parts bin and Lo! there was one.  It's a special nut designed to put
1/4" od tubing into a 5/16" fitting, and apparently this was once a common
application for it as the bin said "Fuel pump fittings".

However, that still didn't solve the problem !  Apparently, the original fitting
used a special compression sleeve that was taller than the sleeves available
today.  I solved my problem by making a special nut on the lathe, with a blank
area below the threads.  Others have "cut & pasted" two ferrules (compression
sleeves) together to make one taller one.  Or, you could just use 5/16" tubing
and convert to 1/4" somewhere between the pump & the carbs.  With care, you
could probably even bore out a short length of 5/16" steel tubing to push over
the 1/4" right at the pump.

> I would like to have four of them (one for replacement, one to lose

It's tough to lose the nut, once it's been installed it will be trapped on the
line by the sleeve.

Randall