Another Engine Rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another Engine Rebuild
From: john.dunham@teradyne.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:14:01 -0500
Sorry if this gets posted twice...
Spent a little time of the TR4 motor this weekend.  I think I have
successfully broken it down into as many pieces as possible... I am
starting to put a plan together as far as machine shop work, work I will do
myself and what new parts are required.  I have the Kas Kastner competition
prep book, as well as the great document on TerriAnn's website on "How to
build a TR motor that will get out of it's own way"  I am hoping to get as
much reliable HP as possible without going the V8 route.  The block is out
of a 64.  A few questions:
1. The block - The motor was running, but blew a head gasket.  Everything
on the block looks fine, other than needing a good washing.  I am somewhat
reluctant to have a machine shop do the boiling because I just don't think
it needs it.  I also do not plan on changing out cam bearings, rear cam
plug or any other plugs.   Any recommendations on bare block must-do's?
2. Crank & Head - I plan on having both checked for cracks, as well as the
crank balanced machined to accept the new style rear main seal. I plan on
skimming 0.060" off the head, and will do the porting myself.
3. Connecting rods - I plan on carrying out the Kastner lightening process
myself, but any input would be great.  I also plan on having the rods
shot-peened and balanced, after I take a file to them.   Any comments in
general on lightening rods?
As always, any other input would be great. Hopefully, I will be following
up with top-end questions in the near future...Thanks,
John Dunham
Development Engineering
Teradyne Connection Systems
44 Simon Street