RE: More gremlins

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: More gremlins
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:54:30 -0800
> but what would cause my timing to get that far
> out of whack?

Another possibility might be a sheared pin that locates the dog on the end
of the distributor.  Not likely IMO, but worth a check if the valve timing
seems OK.

Other possibilities include a broken or disconnected vacuum retard, broken
centrifugal advance springs, etc.  Checking the timing under various
conditions should point this out : disconnecting the retard should move the
idle timing from 4 ATDC to about 10 BTDC, and then gently revving the motor
should advance it further.  I don't know the TR6 advance curve offhand, but
you should be able to get at least 20 deg by 3k rpm or so.  This is a basic
tune-up check anyway, one that I think is often overlooked (just like the
drop of oil under the rotor).

Randall