Re: Early TR4 Panel kit snap installation

To: Mark Vaden <markvaden@gmail.com>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Early TR4 Panel kit snap installation
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:03:14 -0700
Mark Vaden wrote:

>I purchased a panel kit from Moss Motors, and I need some help...

I'll try but can send some pics if words aren't enough.

>Looking at some pictures in Piggot's book, it looks like the side
>pieces have 4 snaps. 3 towards the front of the car, and one on the
>rectangular tab.

Correct.

>I am assuming that 2 snaps are mounted on the quarter
>panel (the boomerang shaped piece that goes over the wheel well), and
>I noticed I have a male snap on my top frame. Is this the correct
>placement?

No, the male snap on the top frame is for an elastic strap that is part
of the top.

>Is the male snap for the rectangular tab get mounted on the
>wheel well?

The male should be on that panel that covers the front side of the fuel
tank area.

>The rear top cover has 2 flaps on the bottom with 2 brass rings on
>each flap. What does this connect to?

There should be 4 male lift-the-dots on the rear floor, these rings go
over those, the the rear carpet has 4 lift-the-dot fasteners that go on
top of them to hold it all down.

>The cloth webbing on my top bows is currently held in place with the
>screws that attach the longer lift the dot connector. This works now
>because I have no panel kit installed. How is the webbing supposed to
>attach to the back of the car? Does it use a lift the dot connector,
>and then the top lift the dot connector just sits on top of it?

Yes, to LTD connectors are 'stacked' when the top is up.  Originally
there would have been a vinyl pocket that fit over the end of the
webbing to hold it folded into a couple of thicknesses, but that bit may
be gone.

I'll pmail a few pictures that will hopefully make this all clearer.

Geo Hahn