RE: 75W90 Cost Comparisons

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 75W90 Cost Comparisons
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:21:28 -0800
> Do you use full synthetic in your gearbox as well?

No and yes ... in the past I've used Valvoline 20W50 Racing (motor) oil in my OD
gearbox.  I've heard stories of full synthetic gear oil being too slick for
proper synchro operation, and the OD manual warns against "hypoid" oils anyway.
Due to it's low detergency and high level of ZDP it's almost a gear oil but
without the sulfur additive.  The multi-weight also makes shifting in cold
weather a lot easier.

However, I plan to try Redline MTL 90 in the future, which is a full synthetic
but is also formulated specifically for manual transmissions.  According to
Redline, it also contains none of the sulfur-based additive that attacks copper
alloys. Taint cheap, tho.

Randall