Re: personalized plates (a bit long, a breif insight into the

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: personalized plates (a bit long, a breif insight into the
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:54:45 -0000
Hi Folks
I live in the UK where we are only allowed standard format plates, we do
envy the idea of choosing our own plates!
the main formats are
123 ABC
ABC 123
originally found on pre 1960 (ish) cars.

ABC 123D
originally found on 1961(ish) to 1980 something cars.
This is the most common format for the Triumphs I drive. According to
information gleaned over time, the A denotes the issuing officer (as in bod
in an office!), the BC bit denotes the region of registration, the 123 are
sequentially issued, starting at 1as (opposed to 001) through 999 and the D
denotes the year of first registration, advancing by one letter per year.
This ran out and was re-started the other way round with the same
definitions as above.

D123 ABC
originally found on 1980 something to 2000 ish cars

XX 51 UVW
This is a completely new system, where the XX denotes area, the 51 denotes a
6 month period, and the UVW are issued sequentially from AAA to ZZZ giving a
lot more available sequences than 1 through 999!
We may not change the spacing, we may not have a newer year on the car than
its year of first registration. we may not have black and silver on cars
registered in 1974 and later. However I have seen GB L10N and others about.
I live on the Isle of Wight and we are particularly defensive when it comes
to our registration identity. The letters for the Island are DL. I have from
one of my Triumphs (which recently ran out of structural bodywork due to
rust) the Registration VDL 100K which I consider to be my cherished plate
and currently resides on my BMW.

Graham.