Won't start, out of ideas

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Won't start, out of ideas
From: Aledotr6@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:02:02 EST
I was running the engine with the fast idle set, then it just stopped like
the ignition had been turned off. I had the air cleaner off and there was a
puff
of smoke or gas vapor out of the carbs. It hasn't started since. I'm checked
for spark on all plugs, checked the timing, checked for compression, checked
the valve clearances and checked for bent push rods. I know I'm getting gas.
Even tried using starter fluid. Not even a hint of starting. The only thing
that
happens is that it will occasionally spit vapor out of the carbs like if did
when it first quit. Not quite a backfire, but close. It feels like a timing
problem, but I've checked it as many ways as I know how. It's set at 10 degrees
BTDC static with number one firing. I determined number one firing by feeling
for compression as that cylinder approached TDC. I also watched the valve
movement to confirm what the firing order was.

I'm completely stumped.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bud Trussell