RE: axle take-apart?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: axle take-apart?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:45:04 -0800
> What warrants going into my rear axle?

Unless you know of a specific problem, I'd leave it alone except for cleaning
and inspecting inside the rear cover.  Also check carefully for any signs of
grease thrown from the wheel bearings.  Otherwise, the rear axle fitted to later
TR3-TR4 is pretty rugged and trouble-free, IMO.  It's also a PITA to work on,
requiring lots of special tools.

The buffers do need to be replaced occasionally, but they're easy to do even
with everything assembled.  Might be a good time for new hand brake cables, and
new hydraulic lines, too.

If you do have the brake backing plates off, be sure to keep track of the shims
behind them.  They're important.

Randall