RE: TR3 Engine Stutter and SU tuning

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Engine Stutter and SU tuning
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:45:57 -0800
> I am in the process of making some sketches of an electro-mechanical
> doodad to measure the piston position in place of the dashpot.

Cool !!!

>  Yes,
> the damping effect will be lost in its current incarnation.  I could
> add some other dashpot device the the electro-mechanical device to
> restore the damping.  Maybe a shock absorber from an RC car....

Nice if you can do it, but not essential, IMO.  You can analyze steady-state
mixture without it, by just rolling the throttle on slowly rather than stomping
it.  Actual transient mixture is very dependent on the exact damping action, so
checking it with some other form of damper is probably not going to be very
useful anyway.

I've done some limited experiments with a narrow-band O2 sensor ... it's amazing
how little throttle motion it takes to go from dead lean to full rich with 30
weight in the dashpots.  40 weight is even worse.  My TR3 rides harsh enough
that it's hard to hold a perfectly smooth throttle setting on our wonderful
roads around here.

Randall