RE: lead

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: lead
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:26:54 -0800
> is old fashioned real lead still available any place?

Eastwood sells it, and the tools & supplies to go with it.

> do you think new modern solder will work?

If you're talking about the lead-free stuff they sell for plumbing today, I'd
stay away from it.  I find it harder to work with even sticking to clean copper
and using the correct flux.

Electronics shops (Radio Shack) still sell lead/tin solder, but it has a higher
tin content than the stuff Eastwood sells for car bodies.  That makes it harder
and stronger but I would *guess* less malleable and hence more likely to crack
under vibration and whatnot.  At any rate, I believe lead is more expensive than
tin, so there must be some reason for the higher proportion of lead in body
solder.

Randall