Re: NOS question

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: NOS question
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:58:13 -0500
> Periodically you will see NOS items such as a brake master
> cylinder listed on Ebay.  Since these parts have rubber items,
> are they any good?  Or even if the rubber pieces have
> deteriorated, are the castings superior to parts being
> reproduced?

Buying NOS hydraulic parts is seldom ever cost effective.  At the minimum
you will need a rebuild kit to replace the seals and at the other end of the
spectrum the entire cylinder may have exterior and interior bore surface
rust.  For TR6s at least, there is no reason to buy NOS hydraulics, all of
the currently available replacement parts are dead on... even the
aftermarket clutch masters (still produced by Girling, but in India) are
virtually identical to the originals with the exception of some casting
numbers on the cylinder body.

I do not buy any NOS parts that have materials that can deteriorate.  This
includes hydraulic parts, body / window seals, radiator hoses, and
everything of that sort.  The rubber and gasket material is always dried out
and is worthless.

The term NOS is over-used on eBay.  I have no problem with people using the
term NOS in the auction title, because I believe (from a sellers point of
view) tha the auction title is a very effective place to put in key search
terms.  The auction description is meant to describe the part, and this is
where the seller should acknowledge the condition and age of the part.
Sellers that describe new TR6 brake masters, or new ANSA exhausts, as NOS in
thier auction desciptions are being dishonest.

It should also be said that NOS parts are not always the god send everyone
thinks they are.  Even if you exclude hydraulic items, NOS parts can have
30+ years of accumulated shelf wear... scratches, dents, paint chips, that
sort of thing.  And in the case of mirrors or vent window glass, the glass
can often be cracked and unusable.

The key to using eBay to get good deals on any item is to be a knowledgable
buyer.  Ask questions, use good judgement and if in doubt ask someone
impartial who knows more than you do.

If it is really NOS it should have some sort of identifiable packaging or
tagging that would have been used from the time period the part was
produced.  BMC, BL, Jag Rover Triumph, boxes / tags / bags... same goes for
Lucas / Girling items or other OE items.  Also a quick hint, most Lucas
items of the 50s-70s have a date code stamped on the box if you really want
to know if it is NOS or not.

Kai (who LOVES NOS parts)

--
Kai M. Radicke