Things discovered

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Things discovered
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:51:25 -0500
I just completed the removal of my gearbox with OD from my TR3, I have
had a long on going severe oil leak. The suspect is a warped adapter
plate. When I originally added the OD, I rebuilt the gearbox and the OD
unit. During the assembly process I used blue hylomar as the sealant.
Well today when I disassembled the unit to install the new adapter I
discovered that the hylomar had become very gummy and was floating
around inside the unit. I also found the filter screen clogged as well.
Now I have become Leary about using this sealant again. I am now need to
consider other sealants, one that I have used before is Permatex
aviation gasket sealer. I used this during the engine assembly. I am
curious to know if any of you have assembled a Gearbox OD unit before
and if so what sealer did you use. And more importantly do you
experience any leaks for your OD unit.

When I rebuilt the gearbox I replaced the 1st-2nd and the 3rd 4th gear
clusters. I have developed a problem that when in third gear it has a
tendency to want to pop out of gear. I seen to notice it doing it when
in third and the car is not under heavy load. I wonder if it may be a
problem with the top cover, I'm wondering if the little ball and spring
may be worn. Any thoughts?

While I have the car up on stands I decided to pull the front wheels and
take a look as to why the wheels lean in slightly, In other words the
top of the wheel is closer to the center line of the car than the
bottom. (Caster-camber not sure which is which) It is not toe in.. Is
there an adjustment for this? I have looked it over and see no
adjustment. The only thing I can think of might be to place a
washer/spacer between the upper ball joint and the two control arm
brackets. What are your thoughts?

I also discovered that I have a slight bit of play at the hub assembly.
I removed the cotter pin and tightened the axle nut removing the play.
How tight, should this nut be tightened? I'm afraid that with the age of
these cars the factory specs may or may not apply.

The bearings look good but I'll repack them anyway, I'm already there.

Trying to decide on sealer

Ronnie