RE: O/D, Transmission removal advice requested

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: O/D, Transmission removal advice requested
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:29:22 -0800
Apologies if this is a duplicate ...

> Is it possible to take
> off the O/D without removing the transmission from the car?

While it might be possible to remove it, you'll never get it back in.  IMO
easiest to just go ahead and remove the transmission.  Besides, any
rebuilder worth the name will want to run it after it's mated to the
transmission, to check and possibly adjust the pressure.

> It's been a
> while since I pulled only the transmission. Can I get it out
> without dis-mounting the exhaust and Carburetors, or is there not
> room to work with that stuff in place?

At worst, all you should need to do is disconnect the exhaust headpipe at
the flange to the manifold.  The engine only has to tilt up a very little
(if at all) for the OD to clear as you pull it rearward from the engine.

Randall