Plug wire and Spark Plug ???'s

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Plug wire and Spark Plug ???'s
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:36:16 -0700
Listers,

A friend has a '74 TR6. The engine was recently rebuilt in Calif. and then
driven some 700 odd miles to deliver the car here. The trip down was
perfect, no problems, the car ran beautifully!! However, the engine quit
running a few miles short of my friends house, in fact they had to have it
towed to his house! After much troubleshooting effort they still can't
really find the problem. The next item on the list is to install a new
copper core plug wire set! The set that is on the car is probably the later
resistor wire type although I am not sure.

My question is: what are the consequences with going from resistor wire to
copper and/or going from resistor plugs to non-resistor plugs or vice versa!
At this point I am not concerned with any RFI or noise problems. Do any of
you Listers have any opinions on whether it will run better, worse, or the
same?? Does anyone on the list have experience switching from one scheme to
the other on the same car? What happened?

TIA!!

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3 (Sold and now just a memory!)
'68 TR250 (Almost ready for paint!)