4A transmission qestions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 4A transmission qestions
From: jim.wallace@netscape.ca
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:37:03 -0800
Greetings,\
Looking for the collective wisdom. Have my 4A tranny all apart (but not the
o/d yet) and it is in really great shape, no chipped teeth, nothing. The
synchros look perfect too.
The front thrust washer on the layshaft has a bit of scoring, though barely
any.
So are there components that should be replaced as a matter of course while
I'm this far in? How about the big main bearings? They seem AOK but if they
are prone to failure maybe I should do them. They are mighty expensive
though. I will naturally do the front and rear seals of course.
And I mentioned in an earlier message about replacing the layshaft needle
bearings with bushings per Schaller. He says bronze; the bearing place I
went to wondered if maybe 660 brass might be a better choice? Although it
seems standard bushings aren't available in the size I need so they would
have to be custom fabricated. I guess the question is: will regular bronze
bushings stand up OK in this application or should I be looking for
something more esoteric? Or should I forget it and use needle bearings and
make my life simple?
TIA,
Jim