Instrument/Dash Light questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Instrument/Dash Light questions
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:16:56 -0800
List,

Quick summary - I have been working for some time on restoring my TR4A, and
am a couple of items away from starting it for the first time.  I appear to
have a working wiring harness now (I have turn signal, brake, and running
lights (headlights not installed)).  However, I am apparently not
understanding how the instrument/signal indicator/discharge/high beam lights
work.

My harness (from TRF) has plastic bulb holders with a small metal clip for
the four small instrument lights, metal clip-in holders for the two large
instruments plus high beam, and then I've soldered in the special bulb
holders for the discharge and signal indicator lights.

When I switch the lights on, I get running lights front and rear.  I get
instrument lights only on fuel and temp gauges.  I get no lights at any
other dash location.  When I put my voltmeter on, say, the tach instrument
light and turn the lights on, the voltmeter goes from 0 to about 11 volts.
When I turn the key on, I also see a voltage jump on the discharge light.
However, no light works.  Same thing with signals when they are turned on -
the signals go, but no indicator light.

My questions are 1) the only dash instruments that have actual ground wires
attached to the instrument body are the two who's lights are working -
coincidence?, 2) can it possibly be that each and every bulb that I have
(I've tried 10 different bulbs) is burned out?, 3) are the small instrument
dash lights actually grounded through the small clip to the instrument?, 4)
it seems to me that the bulb needs a ground - but on the signal indicator,
there is only one wire and it goes into a plastic holder???  Any help is
appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff Tedder

'66 & '67 TR4A