63 TR4

To: Triumph Email List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 63 TR4
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:31:33 -0500
Well,

The work day is over and I just have to report on my current project.

I managed to get the body off the frame with a little help from my wife and #
1 and # 3 daughters +  my new chain-fall. I cant believe it but all the bolts
came off without 1 breaking! That has to be a record for a 40+ year old car.
To add to my amazement all the brake lines came off and are in very good
shape. I even managed to un-freeze the handbrake pivot piece and remove it
from the axle. So far not one broken bolt.

There was even some original black frame paint in places where crud had
accumulated. The black paint is shinny. So for all those who wanted to know
what the original frame paint color is, I can say it is a high gloss black!

I removed the starter and it had the shim present. 1st one I ever saw. The
generator was not the correct one, 1/2 " pully and mounted so the belt was
about 1/2 " forward. Very wierd setup. I am guessing it must be a Spitfire or
MG generator. I wonder if it will take a regular TR4 pulley?

ANother funny thing was the headpipe. It was attached with the 1/2" nuts as
expected but the pipe was held to the manifold with a collar similar to a
MGA. I never saw that setup before. . The headpipe is currently waiting for
trash pickup. The studs on the manifold seem a bit long but at least all 3
nuts came off and the threads on the studs are perfect.

 A new Bell stainless system will be its replacement when everything goes back
together.

The clutch slave cyl. was missing the stay rod and the engine breather was not
connected to  the oil pan.

Those are the only cob jobs I have found so far.

I hope I have a spare stay rod!

Overall this car has to be the best preserved TR4's I have seen. The only
problems are about 6" of rusty floors on both sides, some acid perforation in
the battery box and the drivers side rocker panel will need a repair. The
rest of the body has the original white paint!

In the early 70's I had a 63 or 4 TR4 and it was more rust than metal.

This car was originally an Ohio car so maybe it didnt get all the sand and
salt that a central NY car would have seen.

I am getting a good feeling about this car!

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4
1974 T140V