Re: British or SAEt

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British or SAEt
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:14:07 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/2005 10:55:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:

I had  someone tell me that the British used a different 'pitch' on the thread
of  a bolt.  IOW, a SAE 7/16 x 24 (threads/inch) but, perhaps the  closest
British sized bolt is 7/16 x 25 tpi.  Is this true or is that  guy making this
something that "the British did this on purpose".HWNM (his  words not mine).

=====
I think this is true; others can fill in details. Note, however, that
Standard-Triumph, dating back to the era of the Standard Vanguard "world car"
of
the late 1940s, used mostly SAE fittings throughout. Notable exceptions were
found on some items such as electrical components or carburetors supplied by
other manufacturers (i.e., Lucas or SU, respectively).

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)