TR3 tail lights etc

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 tail lights etc
From: "Oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 17:34:43 -0500
In Piggott's book on p 24 (Original Triumph TR2/3/3A) there are three shots
of a tr tail.

only the top one has the red center light.

i was at a vtr regional this past weekend (south central in San Marcos, TX),
and there was a small mouth (18000++) with the four tail lights and a red
center light.  the owner said the car was restored twice by the po before he
got it.

he claimed that it was correct.

on p 118 it says at 15601 it went to chrome center light with the four tail
lights, except for Holland and possibly Belgium.  then at 18230 it went to
chrome for all markets.  am i reading this correctly that unless you have a
holland/belgium car, the center red light is wrong if you have 4 tail lights
if you are between the two numbers?

does anyone have real documented proof as to whether my friend was right or
wrong in his statement?

this is not a big deal to me; i'm not "out to get him!"

it's more that i have a small mouth, 13796, which had (we believe) the two
center brake lights punched in - there was no plinth in the metal - by some
dpo, and its an item that has been of great interest to me.

and no, i'm not going to go look this guy up at the next meet just to prove
him wrong.

thanks!