RE: press

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: press
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:19:27 -0700
> Can I use an arbor press to get the front suspension bushings off
> the wish
> bones and to press new ones on? If so what tonnage would I need?

I don't know, but it's not much.  I used a 6" vise to do mine the first
time.  Didn't take a lot of force on the handle, so I'd guess a 1 ton arbor
press would probably do.

But if you're going to run out and buy one, I know I would rather have a
cheap 12 ton hydraulic press.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1667

I did, however, use an arbor I made up for the purpose.  Bought a chunk of
3/4" (I think) plain rod at Home Despot, then drilled & tapped the end for a
bolt so I could spin it in my drill press, and used a file to work it to
size.  Result is ugly, but functional.

Randall