RE: oil leaks

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: oil leaks
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 07:07:12 -0700
> Is there anything I can do to seal it from the outside until I get
> motivated to tackle it over the winter? I just got it back on the
> road and I really want to drive it for the summer.

Faced with a similar dilemma, I drained the oil, cleaned the area thoroughly
with solvent, and then "buttered" the outside of the leaking seam with a thick
layer of RTV (silicone gasket maker).  I forget which color I used, probably
black.  Let it sit overnight before refilling with oil.  It didn't completely
stop the leak, but slowed it enough that I was able to drive the summer
(including 2000 miles roundtrip to VTR in Breckenridge).

Randall