Re: TR6 electrical problems

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>,
Subject: Re: TR6 electrical problems
From: Tom Bottman <tbottman@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 22:12:57 -0600
On 5/22/05 7:17 PM, "DANMAS@aol.com" <DANMAS@aol.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> What year is your car?  What color was the wire that was too short, and
that
> you spliced to?  Where did you check to see that you had power to the
starter
> - at the relay or at the starter solenoid?
>
> Anything you did to cause the wire to the headlight switch to burn
shouldn't
> have cause any problem with the starter.
>
> To determine if there is a problem with the starter, pull the white/red
wire
> from the solenoid. With the key off, the handbrake on, and the transmission
in
> neutral, connect the terminal where the W/R wire was removed from directly
> the positive post of the battery with a short piece of wire. If the starter
> turns the engine over as it should, the starter is ok. (if you have two
small
> spade terminals on the starter - one of them should be 1/4" and the other
> should be a bit smaller - the W/R wire goes on the 1/4" terminal)
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Dan

Dan and Geo,
Thanks again for getting back to me on this.
Now I know what all the talk about Lucas, Lord of the Dark Side is all
about!
I have had my TR3 for 11 years now, and have gone through some electrical
stuff (burnt out the generator last summer trying to keep up with the modern
cars on the Montana freeways!)  And have had the TR6 for 8 years now. I have
never had so much trouble with the electrical system!
OK - it is a 74 TR6.
The wired I spiced to the light switch was the brown wire.
I just took apart the main/side light switch and it looks fine.
I also noticed a burnt place on the metal behind the dash, in the hole where
the switch goes. Looks like that is where the short happened - when I
reinserted the switch into its hole.
I charged the battery twice, and it is only 3 months old. Lots of power.
I tested the line from the relay to the starter motor on both ends, and got
the test light to come on.
I ran a couple different wires from the battery positive pole to the
starter/solenoid W/R connection.
Nothing!
And, the starter worked fine when I tested it before the short.
So . . . guess I call up TRF and see what they have to say.
Thanks again, Tom B