Distributor Rebuild

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor Rebuild
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:55:16 -0400
Hi List,
Before I start in on my distributor question, a little update on my TR4A
engine rebuild.. I talked to my machinist again about his suggestion to
align bore the mains and he said he just wanted to check the mains which is
why he needed the caps and bolts. I guess I will cross the bridge one step
at a time. It sounds like most everyone thinks that the whole align
honing/boring issue is either too dangerous, too expensive, or both. I trust
the guy and have used him for years for various engine machining tasks that
I couldn't do in my garage. I will keep you guys posted on what he finds.

On my distributor rebuild,, it seems one of the mechanical advance springs
has disappeared completely. Like somebody took it out missing.. I checked
the vacuum advance and it works OK using a vacuum pump and holds the vacuum
for long enough to rule out a slow leak. Are these springs available? I
found a suspicious break  on the movable part of the mechanical advance that
looks to me like it broke off. Although it could be a stop for the
mechanical advance too. I have a picture of it on my website in the
engine/distributor section. Maybe somebody can shed some light on it.
Thanks in advance,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a