Re: Tr6 windshield wipers

To: ASesso@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tr6 windshield wipers
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 06:22:51 -0700
>I am re-installing my windshield wipers in my 1971 TR6.How much resistance
>should there be in the rack that runs to both wheel boxes.
***********************************
I went through this when installing a wiper system from a Spitfire (same
system) in a 1940 ford truck.  I had to bend it even more in some places
than it is when installed in a Spitfire.  If you can push and pull it
"fairly" easy, by hand then it will work fine.  My guess is about 5-6 lbs
resistance max and I'm sure there is a spec somewhere, but I don't have
access at the moment.  Obviously, trying to describe this is difficult at
best since the these terms are relative to each individual, but even with a
fair amount of resistance the system will still work. The motor is geared
fairly high and as such has quite a bit of power.  However, the ideal is to
have as little resistance (to prevent accelerated wear) as possible.
Grease it well and as long as there are no pinched sections, and it
pulls/pushes smoothly, all should be fine.  After all, how much running
time does the system really get?  Maybe some of you drive in the rain, more
than I do living where I am (the one in my 72 Spitfire is practically new
having probably no more than 10 - 15 hours on it) but overall the actual
running time is probably still very small.  So even with a fairly "heavy"
pull how long would it take to wear something out?
 If you think it's a bear to get at in the TR6, you should see where it
lies in my truck :-)

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)