For sale: 1960 TR-3A (II)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: For sale: 1960 TR-3A (II)
From: John Cowan <jcbiz@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:44:26 -0700
Many thanks to all who responded to my first posting. I appreciate all the
suggestions regarding how to gauge the value of the car and where to
advertise it. Here is a full description.

John Cowan

For Sale:

1960 Triumph TR-3A, 51,700 miles, primrose yellow with black leather interior.

This Triumph is original, purchased used in 1965.  Garaged in mothballs for
28 years, it was revived in 1996.  The car is rust free and in very good
mechanical condition for a 45 year old automobile.  The engine and drive
train are exceptionally smooth.  The finish and interior condition,
however, are less than ideal. The seat backs are in good condition, but the
cushions are only fair.  The remainder of the interior is mostly in good
condition, with some parts very good and others only fair.  The finish is
chemically very good; i.e., no chalking.  But one side of the car has some
"garage rash" and there are a few minor dents elsewhere.  A replaced rocker
panel is primed but not painted, and the hood differs very slightly in
color from the rest of the car.

The following "rolling restoration" work has been accomplished:

* Head rebuilt
* Timing chain replaced
* Carburetors rebuilt
* Radiator cored and rebraised
* Hydraulics and brakes replaced or rebuilt
* Shocks replaced all around, with adjustables up front
* Front anti-sway bar added
* Michelin X tires installed
* Speedometer replaced
* Tachometer rebuilt
* Generator and voltage regulator replaced
* Frame straightened and welded (to correct misalignment associated with an
accident that occurred before I bought the car.)
* Steering rebuilt
* Rocker panel replaced
* Exhaust pipes and muffler replaced
* Soft top replaced.
* One side curtain replaced.

There are also a few problems:

* The third gear synchro is weak.
* The gas gauge sender gasket leaks if the tank is topped off.
* One head bolt is broken (but the engine is symptom free).
* One side curtain needs rebuilding.

This is a mostly original Triumph and I would prefer selling it to someone
for whom that is as significant as it is to me.  If you are looking for a
pristine rebuild, this is not the car for you.  Nor would it make sense to
utilize an original car, in such good condition, as a frame up restoration bed.

A word about color and condition: When I bought the car, I hated the
primrose yellow and lusted after British Racing Green. Now, every rebuild
seems to be done in BRG and I love the yellow.  I also like the "look" of
the car.  Some might disagree, but to me it looks comfortable, authentic
and original.

John Cowan

613 Navarra Drive
Scotts Valley CA 95066