RE: Hi-torgue starter problems

To: <Acey2525@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hi-torgue starter problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:26:08 -0700
> I started it tonight and there was a real funny noise coming from
>  under the
> hood.  Checked it out and thought it was coming from the
> starter.  Shut the
> engine down and the starter was still cranking away with  the key off.  I
> quickly disconnected the battery.  Yikes, what the  heck
> happened?  Is the starter/
> solenoid, defective or did I do something  wrong?  If I did wire
> it wrong,
> why did it work flawlessly for 3  weeks?
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?

If you did something wrong, Jack, it would be in the form of a short between
the two wires going to the starter from the old solenoid.  Check carefully
for stray strands, especially around the original solenoid.

Could also be a failure of either solenoid ... the way to find out is to
disconnect the wire you added between the original and the new solenoid,
then reconnect the battery.  If the starter still cranks, the fault has to
be the new solenoid (or a short near it).

Randall