Gear reduction starter question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear reduction starter question
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:33:54 -0700
List,

I finally got to fire up the car for the first time today and, aside from
some coolant leaks, she ran pretty well for 5 minutes or so.

However, I had to use the push-button on the solenoid to start, because the
key didn't do anything.  I checked voltage to the solenoid, and it seems to
be fine (10+ volts when you turn it to start).  My starter is wired so that
the battery and starter are on the same solenoid terminal, the starter
solenoid (the one actually on the starter) is wired to the other solenoid
terminal, and the red/white ignition wire is wired to the small terminal
that should connect the two when voltage is applied.  However, as I said
before, turning the key does nothing.

Anyone see a problem with this arrangement?  Anyone have any ideas as to why
the key isn't doing anything for me?

TIA,

Jeff Tedder

'66 & '67 (finally runs!) TR4A