RE: TR4A Motor Rebuild

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4A Motor Rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:54:22 -0700
> I ran a nut all the way down the head studs using
> my fingers so I assumed they were not stretched. Is this the only test

I'd say that's reasonably definitive.  Of course a visual inspection wouldn't
hurt either, if they're badly corroded they should probably be replaced anyway.

> or should I just replace them? Even though they are expensive, I would rather
> spend the money now and not have to do it again later plus buy new gaskets!

If you're not going racing and the motor is reasonably stock, I wouldn't replace
the studs unless they need it.  But that's just me.  I reuse rod bolts too, if
they pass inspection, never had one fail.

> A friend of mine is planning on rebuilding his TR-250 motor shortly, should
> I pass this requirement on to him or is the TR6 motor immune?

Not immune, any motor can have abused and/or damaged bolts.  They should always
be inspected and replaced as needed.  IF you're going racing (meaning the motor
is being stressed far beyond factory limits), the critical fasteners should be
replaced as a matter of course.

Randall