Re: Dist. Advance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dist. Advance
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:22:14 EDT
TRF sells rebuilt TR distributor units (they say from England) for ~$US250.
Holden (an impressive UK firm) sells their rebuilt units for ~$US150.00.
www.holden.co.uk
BPNW sells rebuilt units but make sure correct numbers are stamped on
body/vacuum/etc.
Moss sells distributor spares including the advance springs in a
'5-assortment pak' for $12.00 or 'specific pairs' for about $8.00.
Junk yard cores can be had for $10-30.00.
At this late date - 40 years later, options seem to be;
1) Buy a Mallory.. their Unilite version looks great w/ vacuum and mechanical
advance capability - a bit pricey.
2) Exchange for a professionaly rebuilt unit with CORRECT SPECS for good
chunk of cash.
3) Get your's professionally rebuilt - the US firm Fred Thomas mentioned
looks very very competent: www.buffalomachineworks.com
4) Rebuild your own unit or another better condition unit yourseelf to your
car's specs*.
* then have your distributor put on a SUN machine and have it proven to
factory specs.
As I mentioned in the past I bought an excellent used MGB distributor
(they're more plentiful) for $10.00 for my TR4, I put in a new pair of Moss's
TR4A
springs for $8.00. Installed a nos TR4A 2-6-3 vacuum unit for $15.00 (otherwise
I would have had my leaking 2-6-3 rebuilt for $45). New
points/rotor/condensor/cap etc for another $25 and I am set to almost brand new
TR4-A specs for
about $60.00. (I also altered the MGB id number stamped into the distrib
housing
to reflect TR4A's application - changed only 2 numbers). Gonna have the
distributor run up on a SUN machine to verify it's getting TR4-A specs.
Ideally your car would be put on rolling road dynomometer and a pro would set
curve to perfectly manage your particular motor. (your conservative and extra
safe 40 year old factory curve specs CAN be improved to optimize your
particular motor for today)
ps; Marcel says even brand new distributor manufacturers like Mallory, etc.
can only 'guesstimate' what your car's curve should be, let alone pick the
optimum curve for your specific motor build.
Good luck,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

To the list:

Does anyone know of a source for the Lucas parts referenced in the second
article?

TIA

Ken Gano
<<
IGNITION ADVANCE CURVE REQUIREMENTS  (shows factors involved, and recommends

best way to get your curve absolutely right)

by Marcel Chichak

www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0013.html

TUNING THE LUCAS DISTRIBUTOR (if you've never gutted a dizzy and not sure

what to look for - a great place to start)

by Marcel Chichak

www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0015.html

LUCAS DISTRIBUTOR DATA (a table of all Lucas distributor body #s and vehicle

applications)

by Marcel Chichak

www.telusplanet.net/~chichm/tech/lucas.pdf   >>