Fw: mechanical advance

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Fw: mechanical advance
From: "fred thomas" <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:19:42 -0400
James Row is the owner of Buffalo Dist.  "FT"
==================
Fred:

My input is as follows:

First of all: The factory manuals or the group with their accumulated
experience and all working together would be the best sources as to what plate
(or maximum advance) should be used.

Secondly: Keep in mind that distributor advance is half of the engine advance.
In other words, if the max distributor advance is 10 degrees, that would
translate into 20 degrees of engine advance.

Thirdly: We don't know from the info given at what rpm the max advance is
obtained - - keeping in mind that the distributor turns only half as fast as
the engine.

I would guess that a general feeling for this type of thing leads me to
believe that an advance of 10 degrees might be just right but my intuition
tells me that a number more like 15 degrees would be more likely. But - - this
is a best guess - - not even a "rule of thumb".

Fourthly: The next question is - - If there is a vacuum advance, at a cruise
configuration of 2750 engine rpm, how much vacuum advance is obtained. If the
centrifugal advance cranks in too much and then the vacuum advance adds some
more, one can get too much advance.

Again - - rely on the specs given in the manual.

Some distributor parts can be modified to give more or less advance but on
other designs, this can become difficult. Always keep in mind that the initial
advance setting must be retarded enough that the engine does not "kick back"
during starting. Once the engine is up to idle speed, then the advance can
begin - - again, depending on items such as cam timing, carburetion, fuel
used, etc.

Hope this sheds a little light on the topic though the info is totally
non-conclusive. We consider the customer and their manuals to be the real
experts. We're the technicians!

Jim