Continuing water woes (TR4A engine)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Continuing water woes (TR4A engine)
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:34:12 -0700
List,

Well, after helpful advice from Uncle Jack and others, I've determined that
my coolant leak between the head and block is NOT coming from the head
freeze plug.  Therefore, it's got to be coming from the head, so I guess
it's coming off now.

A couple of questions:

1.  I pull the dipstick out and let it drip on the exhaust manifold.  When
the drip hits, it sizzles - does this mean water in the oil?  I tried this
using straight oil, and it didn't sizzle.

2.  I seem to have a water leak coming from inside my water pump pulley and
no leak on the water pump above the pulley, which would seem to me to
indicate that the water pump is leaking from some point that I can't see
(like out of the front pump bearing or something).  Any other ideas on this
one?

3.  After a massive coolant leak coming from the bottom hose, I clamped the
hose clamps down VERY tight.  However, after I shut it down (and the temp
gauge was about in the middle), the top of the bottom hose started to leak
again.  All I can think of is that the clamp is getting hot and expanding,
which is letting coolant leak by.  Anybody have a way to stop this?  I'm
thinking maybe a second clamp, some silicone sealant, and a new hose?

TIA - not looking forward to pulling the head, but it looks like it's got to
be done.

Jeff
'66 & '67 TR4A