RE: Setting valives, was: Follow-up question

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Setting valives, was: Follow-up question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:48:21 -0700
> This discussion of how to set valves is all well and good, but it
> calls to mind a different problem that has always worried me.  One
> supposes that the non-lift part of the camshaft's rotation is round,
> but supposin' it isn't?

I agree it's possible.  More likely due to a badly cut cam, IMO, than wear,
since there's almost no pressure on the cam base circle.  The lobe tips
should wear long before the base circle does.

> A simple experiment will do.  Set or measure the clearance at
> different places in the rotation, see how much it changes.  I'm too
> lazy to do this directly,

Me too ... I'll let someone else worry about it.

> But I've noticed the quality
> of the job I've done being different from session to session, and
> suspected that the world, er, I mean the cam, isn't as round as it is
> made out to be.

If you always set in the same position, then the results should always be
the same even if the base circle isn't round.

>  Either that or my feeler gauges aren't always the
> same thickness.

"Feel" counts for a lot when setting valves.  I can still force the feeler
in and out with the clearance noticeably less than I normally set, and still
feel resistance with it more than I normally set.  You also have to be
careful you aren't turning the feeler in the gap, or you'll always feel
resistance.

Wear in the rockers can also make a big difference.  With a badly worn
rocker & shaft, moving the rocker just a few thousandths side to side can
make a big difference in the measured clearance.

>  Or the world actually changes temperature.

If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change !

Randall