RE: 3A scroll seal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 3A scroll seal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:29:25 -0700
> Wondering if it might be possible to replace the scroll seal without having
> to take off the head ... or to view it another way can it be done without
> lifting the crank so far that the pistons come out of the liners? (with
> engine inverted on a stand.)
> Seems like maybe - but also seems like I might be forgetting some obvious
> hindrance....

Easy enough to disconnect the rod bearings and pull the crank with the pistons
still in the cylinders and the head in place.

With the crank in place, it will take some shenanigans to get the seal/crank
clearance set right.  Probably a way to do it, like maybe gluing some pieces of
shim stock to the scroll, installing the seal, then hoping you can get the shim
stock out without damaging the seal ... but IMO it would be better to pull the
crank and do it right.

Randall